Eden Prairie Fastpitch Softball
The Eden Prairie Fastpitch Association is a non-profit, volunteer-managed youth sports organization dedicated to promoting excellence in girls’ fastpitch softball. The goal is to develop and teach the fundamentals of softball in a healthy, safe, and positive environment.
Recognizing that individuals will have different skills and needs, a positive environment will be created to foster contribution, accomplishment, confidence, and a feeling of self-worth in all players. Coaches will strive to see that each participant will be treated fairly and know they are an important part of the team and that their contribution is valued.
We want to grow and develop the athletes in the community by providing the right level of training and competition for each athlete. By offering and delivering a positive fastpitch softball experience for our players at every age level, we believe we can make a difference within the lives of our athletes and the community.
- Provide effective, high-quality softball training for players and coaches at all levels, by providing opportunities to play competitively and developing their athletic skills to advance to another level.
- Provide a structured program that is cooperative with and respected by other community programs.
- Create a fun and entertaining environment for the players, families, coaches, and community.
- Seek to maximize the potential of every player in the program.
- Develop players and teams that are able to compete at a national level.
- Encourage and foster player participation for the full length of a player’s youth sports career.
- Foster the importance of teamwork and the understanding that all team members play an integral part in the success of the team.
- To promote skill development and create positive self-esteem for every player
There are three seasons for fastpitch softball:
- Summer season is from April to July. During the summer season, the EP Fastpitch 8U, 10U, and 12U teams play in the Minnesota Softball Big West League.
- The fall season is August to September and is played in the Minnesota Softball Fall Ball League.
- The offseason is from October to March.
- As of 2019, EP Fastpitch has been participating in a development domeball season, in which players will train skills and compete in a domeball league from October to February.
Eden Prairie fastpitch follows the USA Softball guidelines for teams:
||Date of Birth within the calendar year
||6 and under
||2016 and 2017
||8 and under
||2014 and 2015
||10 and under
||2012 and 2013
||12 and under
||2010 and 2011
||14 and under
||2008 and 2009
Players are eligible to participate, subject to the following criteria, if :
- They are a resident of Eden Prairie
- Attend an Eden Prairie school (regardless of city of residence)
- If none of the above criteria are met, non-residents may be allowed to play if the EP Fastpitch Board determines that additional players are needed to field a team at an age group. Non-resident players must also acquire a waiver from the softball association of their home city.
- Must have paid all applicable fees – past and present
- Must have filled out all required forms, including any signed waivers and commitment forms required
The emphasis at the 8U, 10U, and 12U levels is player development. Athletes will focus on learning the fundamentals of the game, playing as a team, and having fun.
Teams at the older age levels also stress fundamentals but add more game strategy and advanced skills. Teams typically have 10-14 athletes. An evaluation process for Summer teams is held in the late spring timeframe. Players are placed on teams based on evaluations and other criteria (such as key skills i.e. pitching/catching).
Volunteer hours are an important part of making the association successful and for keeping costs low. A small amount of volunteer time is expected from all families during the season. A buyout option for the summer season is also available at the time of registration. The most common volunteer opportunities performed by families are:
- Concession sales
- Indoor or outdoor concessions (weekday regular season games and weekend tournaments)
- Field maintenance
- Frooming fields between weekend tournament games (raking and chalking the infield)
Volunteer assignments are managed by our Volunteer Committee using SignUpGenius. For more detailed information, please visit our Volunteering webpage (here).
Registration is completed online at epfastpitch.com for both Summer, Fall, and domeball seasons. It is the player's and parent's responsibility to seek out registration information – watch for announcements on our Facebook page or on our website at www.epfastpitch.com.
2023 Fees and Expenses:
||Total Base Fee
||+1 Additional Mid-Season Tournament
||+ 2 to 3 Additional Mid-Season Tournaments
Base fees for 8U/10U/12U/14U cover the following:
- General administration fees (postage, copying costs, storage shed rental, post office box, etc.)
- Team insurance
- Equipment expenses
- League fee
- Playing fees (game balls, field maintenance, umpire fees, tournament fees)
- 1 Mid-Season Tournament
- State Qualifier
Additionally, EPFA will cover the cost of a Nationals tournament (NAFA or Monsta), if an 8U/10U/12U/14U team earns such a berth at a mid-season tournament. If such a team earns a second berth, they must self-fund the entry fee for the second Nationals tournament.
All coaches for the 6U, 8U, 10U, and 12U age groups are volunteer coaches, and often are parents of a player on their team. The EPFA requires coaches to complete a background check and a concussion awareness program. Prior to the start of the season, coaches participate in a coaches clinic provided by the EPFA. Head coaches are ACE certified.
During the summer season, EP Fastpitch Picture Day will allow families to purchase individual and team photographs by a professional sports photography organization.
We call off practices and games when threatening or poor weather is in the area. League administrators make every attempt to provide notification by 4:00 pm. The City of Eden Prairie will ultimately make the call for field use by 3:00 pm. Wet fields become a hazard to players and are difficult to maintain. Coaches/Team managers are notified by the league administrators and typically manage a call list to notify parents.
Historic Program Changes
- 2022 - Eden Prairie Fastpitch Association announces the formation of an inaugural 6U season
- 2019 - Eden Prairie Fastpitch Association begins participation in winter domeball league, playing out of the Edina Braemar dome during months OCT to FEB,
- 2017 - Eden Prairie Fastpitch Association has joined other community fastpitch softball associations in the Big West League, a division of Minnesota Softball.
- 2016 - Eden Prairie Fastpitch Association will no longer participate in an "In-House" league and will participate only in a "Travel" league, eliminating any future need to distinguish league play in terms of "In-House" softball or "Travel" softball.